Every week our friends at the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City develop a new healthy recipe exclusively for our readers. Kidist Y. from Parkland, Florida, came to us requesting a healthy and quick recipe that her children would love. These vegetarian and dairy-free sliders are packed with creative ingredients that will satisfy the tastebuds of all ages. What’s more, they’re packed with some of the healthiest foods, such as coconut, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, and lemons.
Try out this recipe yourself and share a photo of the result on Twitter or Instagram @LiveSonima with the hashtag #SonimaEats. You can submit your own request here for a chance to receive a personalized recipe tailored to your favorite flavors and unique lifestyle and dietary needs.
Photo by Grace Stufkosky; Recipe by Megan Huylo
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1-2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 12 slider buns, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Heat coconut oil and sauté shallots, garlic, carrot, and celery with salt until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add to large mixing bowl with quinoa.
- Pulse pumpkin seeds, chickpeas, lemon juice, and zest in food processor until coarse. Add to bowl and combine thoroughly.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water until gelatinous. Add to quinoa mixture and fold to combine.
- Form quinoa mixture into 12 sliders. Spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake, about 20 minutes, rotating sheet half way through.
Serve sliders on buns, top with favorite condiments.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber