Sometimes, often, we need space for things to be both/and. Not sweet or sour, not joyful or sorrowful, not hot or cold. We need multidimensional flavor, we need the capacity to hold many emotions at once, to be fully human. In the summer, when temperatures rise and sun is plentiful, it can be hard to find moments to be quiet, to restore. And yet, we need those moments of quiet to recharge our shine. Not everything that glitters does so without shadow.For moments in sunshine and shadow, these sweet-tart strawberry lemonade popsicles that hydrate, restore, and balance. Adjust their sweetness to your liking, and according to the sweetness of the fresh berries. Add fresh basil leaves for an herbaceous hit of savory. I dare you to eat just one.
By Lily Diamond
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or liquid sweetener of choice
- fresh basil leaves, optional
- Place all ingredients except basil leaves in a blender and blend til completely smooth and liquid. Distribute liquid evenly into popsicle molds. Freeze for 45 minutes, then remove, stir, and place popsicle sticks in each mold (or freeze according to your popsicle mold). At this point, drop a few small basil leaves into the popsicles and stir to distribute. Return to freezer for at least four hours, until completely frozen. To loosen, run under hot water while pulling up and out on popsicle stick.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber