Every week our friends at Further Food develop healthy recipes exclusively for our readers. This sweet and spicy chicken chili was created for Debra G., who was looking for a healthy meal idea with lots of savory flavors and a spicy kick. This dish is layered with zesty seasonings such as cumin, chipotle, cayenne, and black pepper, coupled with fire-roasted tomatoes and sweet chicken sausage.
To make this quick and easy recipe, just mix all of the prepared ingredients in a slow cooker and let it cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. If you don’t have a slow cooker, simmer the mixture in a heavy-bottomed pot for an hour on low heat.
Photo by Grace Stufkosky
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow zucchini, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken apple sausage
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern or cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- chipotle powder, to taste
- clintro for garnish (optional)
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper and zucchini and sauté until veggies are golden-brown and onions are translucent (about 5 minutes).
Transfer mixture into a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
Brown sausage in onion pan and add to slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients except cilantro to slow cooker and stir until combined.
Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber