Every week our friends at the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City develop wholesome recipes exclusively for our readers. This week, Luciana S. from Longmeadow, Massachusetts, requested a dish that’s low in carbs and that will help her to lose about 30 pounds of post-baby weight. The high fiber and protein content from the tempeh and black beans in this dish will satisfy hunger while keeping calories in check. The recipe incorporates a variety of spices for added health benefits and a perfect balance of flavors.
Be sure to whip up a batch of this vegetarian chili yourself and share your photos of the results on Twitter or Instagram @LiveSonima with the hashtag #SonimaEats. You can submit your own request here for a chance to receive a personalized recipe tailored to your favorite flavors and unique lifestyle and dietary needs.
Photo by Grace Stufkosky; Recipe by Olivia Roszkowski
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 block (8 oz.) tempeh, crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (or 1 can) cooked black beans
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno rounds
- 2 avacadoes, sliced
- cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add the onion andsalt and cook for five minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
Add in the crumbled tempeh and cook for a few minutes until tempeh begins to brown lightly. Add the garlic and spices and cook for additional minute.
- Add canned tomatoes and black beans, bring to a simmer and cookcovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until flavors meld.
Serve in bowl garnished with pickled jalapenos, avocado slices, and cilantro.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber