Related: A Sweet Charoset Recipe
Apples and honey. Black pepper and walnuts. Apple cider vinegar and mustard. Fresh kale. Creamy goat’s cheese. And of course, feel free to make the salad your own, adding any ingredients that summon new life in your heart and mind.
By Lily Diamond
Black Pepper Toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky or kosher sea salt
- 2 generous pinches freshly cracked pepper, more to taste
Apples and Honey Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stoneground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 1/2 cups roughly chopped washed and stemmed kale
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced apple
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay walnuts in a flat layer on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat thoroughly. Bake for 2-4 minutes, checking frequently to prevent burning. Remove when golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Whisk together all salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Place chopped kale in a large bowl and pour dressing over. Massage leaves with your hands to tenderize for 15-30 seconds. Top with apple slices, goat cheese, and black pepper walnuts.
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber